Prior to being matched with a sponsored family, our group must raise adequate funds to demonstrate their ability to meet the required financial obligations of sponsorship. This means that we need to raise approximately $20,000 (75% of $27,000) in order to start the application process.
Because the required financial resources indicated in the Sponsorship Cost Table are based on average cost of living throughout Canada, our group has set a higher target to compensate for the higher cost of living in the GTA. We will continue to raise our goal of $35,000 to sponsor a family of four.
In addition, we will also be preparing the following:
- our website
- a budget
- high level project plan and have resources allocated to oversee the following areas:
- Sponsorship Application process
- Fundraising and Budgeting
- Housing Search and Preparation
- Welcome Orientation and On-Going Settlement
- Healthcare, Education, and Legal support (if required)
- Language Support
- Employment and Culture
- work with Ryerson students to support our family
Our Responsibilities for the Sponsored Family:
As a sponsor group we are responsible to provide the sponsored family with care, lodging, settlement assistance and support 12 months starting from the refugee’s arrival in Canada or until the refugee becomes self-sufficient, whichever comes first.
Examples of Responsibilities:
- Find and furnish housing and other household goods
- Provide the cost of food, rent and household utilities and other day-to-day living expenses;
- Help with registering for mandatory federal and provincial programs such as:
- selecting a family physician and dentist;
- assisting with applying for provincial health-care coverage;
- enrolling children in school and adults in language training;
- Provide orientation to the Canadian culture, and community
- Provide guidance on personal finance
- Assist in employment search
Please click here for information about sponsorship responsibilities.